
Monday, April 30, 2007
Monday, April 23, 2007
Mrigadayawan The Summer Palace




Advised by his doctor to rest and restore his health in a cool dry place. His Majesty King Vajiravudh, Rama VI, chose to spend his summers at the seaside in Petchaburi. He become dissatisfied with the RoyalResidence at Chao Samran Beach because of unhealthy conditions. His Majesty therefore decided in 1923 to build a summer palace near the beach in Huai Sai Nua, Cha-am, District, using materials from the dismantled buildings of the former residence. The new side was drier and cooler. With lush natural forest and fresh water. Few people lived nearby, though a train station was not far away.
The area, Huai Sai, means the stream where hog beer drink. His Majesty named the new palace "Mridadayavan" which maintained the original meaning of the place while adopting the auspicious name of the park where the lord Buddha gave his first sermon. His Majesty forbade hunting within the vicinity of Mrigadayavan.
King Rama VI made the first designs of the palace himself. He assured good ventilation with high ceilings and fretwork on all walls.Building the entire structure on stilts ensured the ground could be kept clean. Ants were controlled byniches for water around each concrete pillar and along the plaster walls that connect to the ground. Bringing all his ideas together, His Majesty chose an italian architect, Ercole Manfredi, who worked in the Civil Works Department, to make the final architectural drawings.
The palace consists of three groups of buildings. All buildings are one story high, built of golden teak, and stand on a total of 1.080 concrete pilars. Covered wooden corridors connect all the buildings.
King Vajiravidh was able to spend only 2 summers, in 1924 and 1925, in this Palace. Then he passed away on November 25, 1925.
Wednesday, April 18, 2007
CHOCOLATE DESSERT SET

Chocolate was created by the Mesoamerican civilization, from cacao beans, and cultivated by pre-Columbian civilizations such as the Maya and Aztec, who used it as a basic component in a variety of sauces and beverages. The cocoa beans were ground and mixed with water to produce a variety of beverages, both sweet and bitter, which were reserved for only the highest noblemen and clerics of the Mesoamerican world. Chocolate is made from the fermented, roasted, and ground beans taken from the pod of the tropical cacao tree, Theobroma cacao, which was native to Central America and Mexico, but is now cultivated throughout the tropics. The beans have an intensely flavoured bitter taste. The resulting products are known as "chocolate" or, in some parts of the world, cocoa.
Today, chocolate commonly refers to bars made from the combination of cocoa solids, fat, sugar and other ingredients. Chocolate is often produced as small molded forms in the shape of squares, animals, people, or inanimate objects to celebrate festivals worldwide. For example, there are moulds of rabbits or eggs for Easter, coins for Hanukkah, Saint Nicholas (Santa Claus) for Christmas, and hearts for Valentine's Day.
Chocolate can also be made into drinks (called cocoa and hot chocolate), as originated by the Aztecs and the Mayas. In England, Samuel Pepys records in his diaries at least two entries relating to "jocolatte" as early as the 1660s.[1] Later, in 1689 Hans Sloane developed a milk chocolate drink in Jamaica which was initially used by apothecaries, but later sold by the Cadbury brothers.
Mango Meringue

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. flour
2 1/2 c. boiling water
1 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. pure lemon juice
6 tbsp. cornstarch1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 deep pie shell, baked
Cook sugar, cornstarch, salt, flour and water until mixture comes to a boil; will be thick and clear. Stir a little of this into the beaten egg yolks. Return to mixture and cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and add butter, lemon peel and juice. Mix and pour into a cooked pie shell. Be sure pie shell is completely cooled before you add mixture. Bake pie at 425 degrees for 5 minutes.
MERINGUE:
3 egg whites
6 tbsp. sugar
Beat egg whites until frothy. Slowly add the sugar. Beat until stiff. Spread over cold lemon pie and bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes or until meringue is lightly brown.
Grand Palace Series 4 " Golden Pagoda "



Highlights of it are:
- Boromabiman Hall, built by King Rama VI and every king since has lived here at some time.
- Amarinda Hall, the original residence of King Rama I and the Hall of Justice. Nowadays it's impressive interior is used for ceremonial occasions and coronations. It contains the antique throne, used before the Western style one presently in use.
- Grand Palace Hall / Chakri Maha Prasat. Visitors are allowed inside the spacious European style reception room. This building has not been used for royal residence since the mysterious death of King Rama VIII (the older brother of the current King), found shot dead in his room in 1946. The reverence for the monarchy in Thailand means that, even today, this remains a completely taboo subject to talk publicly about in Thailand.
- The impressive Dusit Hall, rated as perhaps the finest architectural building in this style.
- The Museum, which has information on the restoration of the Grand Palace, scale models of the Wat and Palace and numerous Buddha images. Labels are in Thai only, but there are free English tours available frequently. Entrance is 50B.
Grand Palace Series " The Elegance City "




For just about 150 years, Bangkok's Grand Palace was not only the home of the King and his court, but also the entire administrative seat of government. Within the crenelated walls were the country's war ministry, state departments, and even the mint. Thai Kings stopped living in the palace full time around the turn of the twentieth century, but the complex remains the seat of power and spiritual heart of the Thai kingdom.
The palace complex, like the rest of Ratanakosin Island, is laid out following the general outline of Ayutthaya palaces. The Outer Court, near where you enter the complex today, housed the government departments in which the king was directly involved, such as civil administration, including the army, and the treasury. The Temple of the Emerald Buddha takes up one corner of the complex next to the outer court.
In the middle is the Central Court, where the residence of the king and the halls for conducting state business were located. You are allowed to look at the fronts of the buildings in the central court, but only two of the throne halls are open to the public, and only on weekdays.
Behind the central court was the inner court. This was where the king's royal consorts and daughters lived. The inner court was like a small city entirely populated by women and boys under the age of puberty. Even though no royalty currently reside in the inner court, it is still completely closed off to the public.
In the middle is the Central Court, where the residence of the king and the halls for conducting state business were located. You are allowed to look at the fronts of the buildings in the central court, but only two of the throne halls are open to the public, and only on weekdays.
Behind the central court was the inner court. This was where the king's royal consorts and daughters lived. The inner court was like a small city entirely populated by women and boys under the age of puberty. Even though no royalty currently reside in the inner court, it is still completely closed off to the public.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Grand Palace Series 1 "Golden Palace"





This palace has an area of 218,400 sq. metres and is surrounded by walls built in 1783. The length of the four walls totals 1900 metres. Within these walls are situated government offices and the Chapel Royal of the Emerald Buddha besides the royal residences. When Siam restored law and order after the fall of Ayutthaya the monarch lived in Thonburi on the other side of the river. Rama I, immediately on ascending the throne, moved the centre of administration to this side of the Chao Phraya; and, after erecting public monuments such as fortifications and monasteries, built a palace to serve not only as his residence but also his offices - the various ministries, only one of which remains in the palace walls. This palace came to be known as the Grand Palace, in which the earliest edifices contemporary with the foundation of Bangkok were the two groups of residences named the Dusit-Mahaprasard and the Mahamontien.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)